Natalie Elphicke OBE is an English finance lawyer who specialises in housing finance and conservative policy development. In 2010 she wrote the report Housing People; Financing Housing for the conservative think-tank Policy Exchange. She is active in the Conservative Party, leading the Conservative Policy Forum when it was launched in 2011. She is the Chief Executive Officer of the privately funded Housing and Finance Institute set up by the Cameron–Clegg coalition following a review she wrote with Keith House.
Early life and career
She grew up in social housing in Stevenage. She worked for Stephenson Harwood becoming a partner in their banking practice. She left in 2013 to found Million Homes, Million Lives, with Calum Mercer, former finance director at Circle Housing.
The Elphicke-House Report
This review was announced in the 2013 Autumn Statement. The remit included the restriction that any proposals should not involve breaching the Housing Revenue Account borrowing cap. It involved canvassing the views of over 400 organisations up and down the country. The review entitled From statutory provider to Housing Delivery Enabler: Review into the local authority role in housing supply was published on 27 January 2015.
Housing and Finance Institute
In January 2017 she launched a pilot scheme to facilitate a more effective way of integrating the provision of infrastructure such as water, electricity, gas, broadband and roads in proposals to develop housing. Following a initial report due by the end of January, the scheme was due to run until May 2017, with reports being submitted to the MPs Gavin Barwell, Minister of State for Housing and Planning and Stephen Hammond MP, chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Infrastructure.
- "Housing People; Financing Housing". Policy Exchange. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Natalie Elphicke: The Conservative Policy Forum – re-launched today – will enable the grassroots to help to define a Conservative vision for our country | Conservative Home". Conservative Home. Conservative Home. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Dedicated housing finance support for local authorities - GOV.UK". www.gov.uk. Department for Communities and Local Government. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Hollander, Gavriel. "The council whisperer". Inside Housing. Inside Housing. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Brown, Carl. "Half of Britain 'will be renting within 30 years'". Inside Housing. Inside Housing. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Camp, Sheila. "The Elphicke-House report on housing delivery" (PDF). Local Government Information Unit. Local Government Information Unit. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- House, Keith (17 June 2015). "The new Housing Finance Institute can help Councils build homes". Liberal Democrats. Liberal Democrats. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "Housing & Finance Institute chief Natalie Elphicke designs pilot scheme to unblock infrastructure hold ups delaying house building | Builder & Engineer". www.builderandengineer.co.uk. Builder and Engineer. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Fearn, Hannah (25 June 2013). "Natalie Elphicke: Drawing up a new blueprint for social housing | Hannah Fearn". The Guardian. The Guardian. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Speaker Biographies" (PDF). www.tgessex.co.uk. Thames Gateway South Essex. Retrieved 8 November 2017.