Roary the Racing Car
This article does not cite any sources. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Roary the Racing Car|
Main characters (from left to right): Trucksy, Zippee, Tin Top, Dinkie, and Mr. Carburettor (behind Tin Top), Hellie, Maxi, Big Chris, Rusty (behind Big Chris), Roary, Marsha, Furz, Zizzy, Dragga, Lugga, and Farmer Green.
|Created by||David Jenkins|
|Directed by||Tim Harper|
|Voices of||Maria Darling|
Peter Kay (UK)
Kerry Shale (US)
|Narrated by||Sir Stirling Moss (UK)|
Sam Hornish Jr. (US)
|Theme music composer||Alan Coates & Kim Goody|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||5|
|No. of episodes||108 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Greg Lynn|
Peter Curtis[disambiguation needed]
|Production company(s)||Chapman Entertainment|
Cosgrove Hall Films
|Original network||PBS Kids Sprout|
|Original release||7 May 2007 –|
29 September 2010
|Related shows||Fifi and the Flowertots|
Roary the Racing Car is a British stop-motion children's television series created by David Jenkins and produced by Chapman Entertainment and HIT Entertainment. It follows the adventures of Roary and his racing car friends at Silver Hatch race track.
The series follows the lives and adventures of racing vehicles Roary, Maxi, Zizzy, Dragga, Tin Top, and the people they work for, Big Chris the mechanic and Marsha the race marshall and the owner of the race track, Mr. Carburettor. Also there's P.C. Pete, the local Farmer Green, Molecom, Furz, and many more. The plot sometimes revolves around other vehicle characters, such as Rusty, Trucksy, Nick, Lugga, Zippee, Hellie, Breeze, Conrod, James, and Loada.
Roary the Racing Car is set around a fictional motor racing circuit called Silver Hatch (a portmanteau of the names of the two British Grand Prix racing circuits, Silverstone and Brands Hatch). The majority of the action takes place at the track's pits and workshop, although we often follow the cars on their laps around the track. Occasionally, the characters venture to external locations such as the nearby beach.
- Roary (from the United Kingdom) is a young and excitable Formula 1 racing car. He is Big Chris's "Number One Star" and best car friend. Roary is new to Silver Hatch, but with the help of his friends, he is quickly learning the ropes at Silver Hatch. He always wants to impress Big Chris and copy all of his friends's moves. Roary does not know too much about racing yet, but he has won quite a few races and is slowly learning how to become a star racing car. His signature colours are red and white. He wears a white baseball cap with a checkered pattern at the bottom and a red star emblazoned with the number 1 at the top. Roary is occasionally Cici and FB's best friends and always wants to play with them. He is so full of energy and has the mindset of a schoolboy. There is a sibling rivalry between Maxi and Roary. They compete over everything. Roary does not like it when Maxi bullies him, but he will occasionally bully him as well. However, most of the time, they are shown to be good friends with each other. Roary can occasionally be slightly rebellious, but has a good heart and is the most sensible of the cars. He often assumes a role of leadership among the other cars. Overall, Roary is very playful and enjoys racing around the track. His catchphrase is "Light 'em up!"
- Maxi (from Italy) is an older yellow Formula 1 type racing car who was the star of Silver Hatch before Roary arrived. He is temperamental and expects the best of everything - including first use of the tyre warmers. He wears sunglasses and a blue cap and sports the number 5. Maxi is Italian and is the favourite of Mr Carburettor. Because of this, he has an Italian accent, although this is de-emphasized in the US voiceover. When starting a race, Maxi can make flames erupt from his exhausts. There is a healthy sibling rivalry between Maxi and Roary. Maxi's catchphrase is "Mamma Mia!" Marc Silk voices him. Model: F1
- Cici (from France) is a young, cute bright pink and purple stunt car with the number 3 painted on her front and doors. She is an electric car and solar car and carries solar panels on her roof. She has a flirtatious attitude and is always challenging Roary to catch her if he can during races. Because Cici is from France, she has a squeaky French accent. She is one of Roary's best friends and the first car to talk to and race Roary on his first day. Cici is also Roary's girlfriend, but she has a massive crush on Maxi, though she is often very impressed by Roary as well. Cici can often act coy. Her two catchphrases are "Catch me if you can!" and "Race you!" Maria Darling voices her. Model: VW Beetle (She's often called Zizzy in the American version.)
- Tin Top (from the United States) is a big and powerful stock car. He often takes his corners too fast and wide and regularly ends up in either the sand trap, the tyre wall, or the mud, generally in a tangled heap of disconnected parts. Tin Top's catchphrase is appropriate given his frequent visits to the workshop: "Tape me up, hammer me in, and send me out!" He sports the number 88 and, in the UK dub, he speaks in a mock-American accent, and Peter Kay voices him. Like Maxi, Tin Top can make flames come out of his tailpipes. In the US version, Tin Top speaks in a stereotypical "urban" accent, Kerry Shale voices him, and does not seem to have a catchphrase. Model: Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- Drifter (from Japan) is a very hi-tech Drift racing car. In line with his name, he can be observed to exhibit extreme oversteer handling characteristics, with his tail end swinging out wide on every corner. He has an on-board computer with a head-up display in his windscreen. Drifter has a fabulous dragon on his sides and also sports blue neon undertray lighting and he wears the number 6 on the top of his front windshield and back windshield. He speaks in a mock Japanese accent. Drifter’s catchphrase in the UK version is "Go-go, nitro boost!" but he does not have a catchphrase in the US version. Marc Silk voices him. Model: Nissan Altima (He's often called Dragga in an American version.)
- Rusty is an old, rusty, immobile caravan who lives at Silver Hatch. He is often found to be sleeping, but rarely minds being woken up by the other characters and he enjoys reminiscing about his time as a mobile caravan. He can give useful advice, but often entirely by accident. Big Chris lives in Rusty. Dominic Frisby voices him.
- Plugger is a 4x4 off-road vehicle or "mud-plugger". Plugger is the most laid-back character at Silver Hatch and he never gets rushed or panic-stricken. In the UK version, he speaks with a soft Caribbean accent; in the US version, he speaks in a mild Southern drawl. He often uses his telescopic winch to rescue Roary and Maxi from mud, gravel, or sand. Plugger can often be heard uttering his catchphrase, "No need to race, Plugger’s on the case!" Model: Mitsubishi L200 (He's often called Lugga in the American version.)
- Flat Bed is Farmer Green's pickup truck. He is usually seen with Farmer Green or playing with two of his best friends, Roary and Cici. He has a West Country accent. His main catchphrase is "Roary's my best friend!" Dominic Frisby voices him. Model: Chevrolet 3100 (He's often called FB and called Trucksy in the American version.)
- Zippee is Marsha's motor scooter. She is of indeterminate gender as the only vocalizations made by Zippee are a beeping sound, similar to a small car horn, which is her catchphrase, "Beep-beep!" (She's only vehicle character, who doesn't talk.)
- Hellie is a bright red and purple helicopter, who transports Mr. Carburettor around the track. He has a large headset which he uses to communicate with the ground-crew, usually broadcasting a booming "Hellie is go!" Marc Silk voices him.
- James is a silver British classic sports car approximating an Aston Martin DB5, who takes Mamma Mia wherever she needs to go. He has several gizmos and gadgets including an ejector seat, an umbrella, water cannons, and a towel. His catchphrase is "The name's James!" and he speaks with a posh English accent. He is named after James Bond and Dominic Frisby voices him.
- Nick is the Silver Hatch police car approximating a Lamborghini Gallardo or Murciélago, who works with P.C. Pete to keep the cars safe. He enjoys playing with the other cars and he wishes he could race with them too. His catchphrase is "Wicked!" Marc Silk voices him.
- Breeze (from Australia) is a turquoise beach buggy who lives at the beach at Silver Hatch. She is good at stunts, like Cici, and loves it when the other cars come to visit. Her catchphrase is "Life's a breeze!" and has a very fake Australian accent. Maria Darling voices her.
- Loada is a transport truck who takes the cars to special occasions. He has lots of different stories from the road and he enjoys telling them to his friends. His catchphrase is "Lock n' Loada!" and he has an Eastern European accent. Dominic Frisby voices him.
- Conrod (from Australia) is a race car who is named after the stretch of the racetrack at the Mount Panorama Circuit in Bathurst, New South Wales. He has a big noisy V8 and arrives without warning at Silver Hatch. In the UK version, Australian V8 Supercar champion Craig Lowndes voices him. In the US version, Marc Silk voices him.
- Big Chris is Silver Hatch race track's mechanic. He occasionally commentates and starts races. He lives in Rusty the caravan and looks after the race track and cars. Big Chris has a typically northern catchphrase, "If you bend it, you mend it!" (The US version, much less mellifluous, is "If you bend it, you fix it!") Big Chris is portrayed as being very messy and absent-minded, often "losing" objects directly in his line of sight, and eternally surprised by his own walkie-talkie. While working on the cars, he often practices his karaoke with an out-of-tune version of a song called "Motor Man". Comedian Peter Kay voices him in the UK dub, while in the US dub, Kerry Shale voices him.
- Marsha is a race marshal and the unofficial administrator of the Silver Hatch race track. She loves things to be tidy and organised, which often puts her into conflict with Big Chris. She is very fit and enjoys a good run. She speaks with a thick British accent and her UK catchphrase is "Gears to go, brakes to slow!" while in the US version, she doesn't have a catchphrase. Maria Darling voices her.
- Mr. "Antonio" Carburettor is the flamboyant owner of Silver Hatch race track. In the UK version, he has with a pronounced Italian accent, while in the US version, he has a New York accent. His favourite car is Maxi, who he considers to be the greatest car in all the world. He also has a gold tooth, which sparkles in the sun when he smiles. In addition to that, he even has a very quick temper, usually turning his face red, making steam come out of his ears, and often saying that the thing of his anger "is driving me up-a the ceiling!" He is a perfectionist who sometimes berates Big Chris for tardiness, although Marsha often covers for Big Chris in front of Mr. Carburettor. Mr. Carburettor often likes to watch his cars race around the track, usually cheering for Maxi, although he does congratulate the winner (not Maxi), whoever it may be. Mr. Carbutettor can't pronounce Tin Top's name right. He shares the same catchphrase as Maxi, "Mamma Mia!" and he can often be heard singing opera. Tim Whitnall voices him.
- Farmer Green owns the farm located just to the side of the Silver Hatch race track. He often waves as the cars zoom past. He owns Dinkie the Donkey and likes to invent bio-fuels, which sometimes work, but often don't. His UK catchphrase is "Green by name, green by nature!" though, like many of the other characters in the US dub, he doesn't have a catchphrase. Tim Whitnall voices him.
- Mama Mia is of Mr. Carburettor's mother and the owner of James. When she first visited Silver Hatch, it was thanks to Flash that she enjoyed the race (which resulted in every car, except Roary crashing). Now she is a regular visitor to the racetrack. Her catchphrase is "Home James!" and she speaks with an Italian accent. Maria Darling voices her.
- P.C. Pete is the Silver Hatch policeman and Marsha's younger brother. When he sees one of the race cars speeding away from the track, he calls to his police car, Nick to follow them. His catchphrase is "Follow that car!" Dominic Frisby voices him. (He's often called Officer Pete in an american version.)
- The Track Inspector is the inspector who sometimes comes to the track to be shown around the track. When he first visited the track, the cars went through ice at "Skid Slope" and began skating around and Mr. Carburettor believed it was a disaster, but the inspector didn't think it was bad. He later appears in "Motormouth". Dominic Frisby voices him.
- Hugo Amarillo is a racing car designer who once came to the track to be shown around. Marsha has a crush on him. Big Chris repaired Tin Top in time for Hugo's visit and during the visit, when Mr. Carburettor showed him Maxi racing, the latter crashed and lost a tyre, causing it to roll backwards toward everyone and Tin Top rushed to stop it and ended up crashing, but Hugo was impressed and decided to design a car like Tin Top. Big Chris, after being introduced to him, says, "Is this the way to Hugo Amarillo?" referencing Is This the Way to Amarillo, which the actor for Big Chris and Tin Top, Peter Kay is known for performing. Dominic Frisby voices him.
- The Pizza Boy is a boy who delivers pizza to Big Chris as seen in "Silver Hatch Fun Run". Dominic Frisby voices him.
- Murray Walker is the world's class commentator, he had a go on Flash's skateboard on the stunt track to show his aerobics, and visits Silver Hatch in "It's Go, Go, Go, at Silver Hatch" and "Motormouth". He is voiced by Murray Walker OBE.
- Flash is an anthropomorphic rabbit, who lives under a tree on the edge of the track at "Hare-Pin Bend" (a play on 'hairpin turn'). He regularly tries to cause mischief, from small things like hiding equipment to intentionally trying to cause accidents by moving traffic cones around to divert the racing cars the wrong way. Flash really wants to be a racing driver and often challenges the Silver Hatch cars to race against him as he rides his high-powered skateboard. When Flash is caught getting up to no good, you will often hear his main catchphrases: "Furz...must fly!" and "Chew my carrots!" being two repeated ones. Marc Silk voices him. (He's often called Furz in an american version.)
- Molecom is a bespectacled mole who is often found clearing up the mess left behind after Flash has tried to cause havoc. Being a mole, he lives underground, and often digs out, causing molehills to appear when he comes up. By some kind of sixth sense, Molecom never seems to dig out through the track, although is often seen digging out through the concrete pit stop area. His catchphrase is "I'm a mole with a role!" Dominic Frisby voices him.
- Dinkie is an old, grey donkey who is often seen at the side of the race track (and occasionally on it), with his ears flapping after the cars race past him. Tim Whitnall performs his vocal effects.
The series uses a combination of computer-generated imagery and stop-motion animation; the stop frame animation was initially provided by Cosgrove Hall Films, the producer of Noddy's Toyland Adventures, the 2004 Postman Pat series, and many other shows produced by said company, and latterly by Chapman Entertainment's own in-house studio. The series was originated by David Jenkins, who spent four years working in senior management at Brands Hatch Race Circuit. The idea was conceived while watching the Grand Prix on television with his then-18-month-old son, Tom. It was designed and developed by Keith Chapman, creative director of Chapman Entertainment and the creator of Bob the Builder (both 1998 and 2015 series), Fifi and the Flowertots, and PAW Patrol, and the series executive producer is Greg Lynn.
Season 1 (2007)
|01||01||Roary's First Day||Roary feels nervous as he waits to take part in a big race and Big Chris reminds him of his first day at Silver Hatch.||7 May 2007|
|02||02||Roary Slips Up||Roary feels foolish and very oily when he forgets to clean up a mess before a race occurs.||8 May 2007|
|03||03||Big Chris Flags It Up||Big Chris makes a mistake.||9 May 2007|
|04||04||Express Delivery||Roary fetches a batch of eggs from the farm for Big Chris.||10 May 2007|
|05||05||Roary's Day at the Seaside||Roary spends a day at the beach with Big Chris, Tin Top, and Plugger.||11 May 2007|
|06||06||Roary Takes Off||Big Chris discovers a novel way of cleaning Roary's fuel intake.||14 May 2007|
|07||07||Zizzy Takes the Blame||Marsha's picnic blanket is damaged and she believes Zizzy is to blame!||15 May 2007|
|08||08||Big Chris' Big Workout||Big Chris tries to probe Marsha that he is in good shape after she rescues Roary before he can.||16 May 2007|
|09||09||Furz Flips Out||Furz causes a problem when Roary and the others test out a new turbo charge.||17 May 2007|
|10||10||Rusty Remembers||Rusty the caravan needs his friends to cheer him up.||18 May 2007|
|11||11||Easy on the Fuel||Roary tries to include Maxi in the big race even after he runs out of fuel.||21 May 2007|
|12||12||Communication Breakdown||Roary has a crash and is overheating at Hairpeend bend and Marsha and Zizzy must find a way to get him back to be fixed when the walkie talkies break.||22 May 2007|
|13||13||Blue Light Job||Big Chris tries to fix Dragga's neon light.||23 May 2007|
|14||14||Make Your Mind Up Roary||The gang prepare for a special trip, but Roary can't decide where they should go.||24 May 2007|
|15||15||Workshop Roary||Roary and Tin Top offer to run the workshop while Big Chris has a nap.||25 May 2007|
|16||16||Tip Top Tin Top||Tin Top impresses a visiting car designer.||2007|
|17||17||Tunnel Vision||Roary helps Maxi get over a fear of the dark.||2007|
|18||18||Molecom Makes Music||Molecom wants to be more musical like Big Chris.||2007|
|19||19||Roary Goes Missing||Roary gets stuck at the beach, but no one knows where he is.||2007|
|20||20||Mama Mia||Mr Carburettor learns that his mother is coming to visit.||2007|
|21||21||Surround Sound||Big Chris is annoyed when his karaoke machine breaks down just when he needs to rehearse for an important competition.||2007|
|22||22||Lugga's on the Case||Lugga realises he can't do everything by himself - sometimes he needs his friends.||2007|
|23||23||Big Chris Learns to Fly||Big Chris has problems while flying a helicopter.||2007|
|24||24||Musical Mayhem||Hellie breaks down and is unable to take Mr. Carburettor to the opera.||2007|
|25||25||Braking Promises||Maxi is angry when Roary is offered his spare tire warmers overnight.||2007|
|26||26||Secret Treasures||Roary, Tin Top and Dragga head to the beach to find buried treasure.||2007|
|27||27||Roary on Thin Ice||On a cold day at the track Roary must find a way to warm everyone up in time for an important race.||2007|
|28||28||It's Go-Go-Go at Silver Hatch||A commentator (Murray Walker) is invited to report on a stunt display by the cars, but he has other ideas, and confesses he has always dreamed of racing himself.||2007|
|29||29||Demolition Derby||Tin Top keeps crashing into things, and Big Chris tries to help him focus his energy into something productive.||2007|
|30||30||Manners, Please||Farmer Green and Flat Bed are nervous about going to Mama Mia's garden party, so James and the other cars teach them how best to behave at the event.||2007|
|31||31||Crash Landing||Hellie has trouble getting airborne again after making an emergency landing.||2007|
|32||32||Lugga's New Job||James breaks down, causing Mama Mia to ask Lugga's to drive her around, but when the pair have fun together, the out-of-action chauffeur begins to get jealous.||2007|
|33||33||Silver Hatch Fun Run||Big Chris is undecided about taking part in a fun run, so Roary and Lugga try to make sure he trains for it without realising.||2007|
|34||34||Silver Hatch Heroes||A film director visits Silver Hatch to record his new movie.||2007|
Season 2 (2008)
|35||01||Nick Solves the Case||Nick solves the case of the missing biofuel.|
|36||02||Dragga's Last Day||The little car worries that Dragga is to be taken to the scrapheap!|
|37||03||Out of Juice||Big Chris takes delivery of special rainwater to make the cars run more smoothly.|
|38||04||Roary's Wake Up Call||Farmer Green has problems getting up in the morning, so Roary finds a way to help.|
|39||05||Big Chris Says Sorry||Big Chris thinks Marsha is cross with him after he corrects a mistake made by Mrs. Carburettor.|
|40||06||Maxi's New Engine||Maxi's engine needs to be rebuilt.|
|41||07||Busy Day for Big Chris||Big Chris struggles to find time to relax because every time he sits down, someone wants his help.|
|42||08||Tin Top Gets Scared||Furz decides to play a mischievous trick on Tin Top.|
|43||09||Roary Loses a Friend||Big Chris accidentally throws away Roary's lucky teddy, and sets out to retrieve it before it reaches the rubbish dump.|
|44||10||Spooky Forest||Maxi tricks the friends into thinking the forest is haunted.|
|45||11||Trucksy in the Fast Lane||Trucksy the flatbed truck competes against Maxi at the racetrack - with disastrous results!|
|46||12||Roary Goes Back to School||Roary heads back to school to brush up on his safety skills.|
|47||13||The Rabbit That Yelled Stop||Furz challenges Roary to take part in a race.|
|48||14||Zizzy Gets Fired Up||Silver Hatch suffers a fuel crisis, so everyone relies on solar-powered Zizzy!|
|49||15||Stars 'n' Cars||Big Chris is invited to sing karaoke on TV.|
|50||16||Crash Test Roary||Roary is nervous about racing after crashing into a tree while racing Maxi.|
|51||17||Roary Sees Red||Zizzy gets stuck in the mud during a rainstorm while helping Farmer Green and Flat Bed with their annual hay harvest.|
|52||18||Rusty Takes a Trip||The cheerful racing car and his friends plan a surprise for Rusty.|
|53||19||Roary Cleans Up His Act||The colourful car tackles a water shortage at Silver Hatch to make sure the gang are ready for an important photo shoot!|
|54||20||Green Eyed Roary||Maxi chooses Zizzy as his training partner, making Roary jealous.|
|55||21||Big Chris Forgets||Marsha celebrates her birthday, but Big Chris forgets all about the occasion!|
|56||22||Big Chris Babysits||The mechanic looks after Roary and Zizzy, but it seems he's the one who needs babysitting!|
|57||23||Roary and Nigel||Roary makes friends with Nigel the crab.|
|58||24||Roary Gets It Wrong||Farmer Green asks Roary the little car to deliver parcels around the track!|
|59||25||Computer Calamity||Mr. Carburettor announces he wants to move with the times and be more modern.|
|60||26||Roary Digs Deep||Roary faces his demons when he races against Maxi.|
Season 3 (2008–09)
|61||01||Zizzy Spectacular||Roary tries to ease Zizzy's nerves when Farmer Green asks her to perform one of her stunts in front of a big crowd.|
|62||02||Dodgems||Marsha tries her best to be the mechanic for the day while Big Chris takes a nap.|
|63||03||Furz The Marshall||Mr. Carburettor want Furz to get out of Silver Hatch forever, But Furz is given a second chance to stay by becoming a race marshall.|
|64||04||Tall Story Roary||The Silver Hatch team must find a way to bring Roary back to the race track after the loudspeakers break and he has an accident.|
|65||05||Hot Stuff||The cars go on a day trip to the beach.|
|66||06||Car Boot Sale||Big Chris tries to get rid of his junk at Farmer Green's car boot sale!|
|67||07||Testing Time for Maxi||P.C. Pete and Nick visit Silver Hatch to give the cars their road tests, but Maxi fails every single one! Oh no!|
|68||08||Horse Powered Dinkie||Maxi and Drifter have an accident and they become stuck in a ditch.|
|69||09||Furz's Tea Party||Furz invites everyone for afternoon tea, but forgets to tell them each to bring a dish.|
|70||10||Trucksy's Sleepover||Trucksy is invited to a sleepover at the garage with the cars.|
|71||11||Hellie's a Winner||Hellie is accused of cheating when he joins the cars on the track!|
|72||12||Cry Cold||Big Chris catches a cold, and enjoys being fussed over so much that he decides not to tell everyone when he starts to feel better!|
Season 4 (2009)
|73||01||Hi Tech Overload||Dragga's computer has overloaded and he became stranded in the countryside.|
|74||02||The Silver Hatch Stars||Conrod and Roary rescue Breeze when she's stuck on a cliff edge.|
|75||03||New Juice||Conrod and Maxi have a race to test out some biofuel.|
|76||04||Simply The Best||Lugga rescues Molecom, and Roary tries to beat his best lap time.|
|77||05||Heavy Loada||Loada gets stuck in the sand on the beach and released that sand and lorries don't mix!|
|78||06||Marsha's Wonderful life||Marsha overheards her friends and she believes that she is bossy.|
|79||07||Silver Hatch Shapes Up||Conrod is having trouble with his engine and Loada has a rattling sound in his engine.|
|80||08||Silver Hatch Pizza||Mr Carburettor demands pizza for lunch, but what's he going to do when the pizzeria is closed?|
|81||09||How the Hatch Was Won||Big Chris tries to cheer up a homesick Tin Top, but someone is causing trouble on the track!|
Season 5 (2010)
- Roary the Racing Car official site with many games, activities and more
- Roary the Racing Car on Nick Jr. UK with games and activities
- Website from Nick Jr. in Australia with games and activities
- Roary the Racing Car on IMDb
- Roary The Racing Car at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Sir Stirling Moss official site.
- Studio Liddell