|Gauteng MEC for Social Development|
30 May 2019 – 1 November 2019
|Preceded by||Nandi Mayathula-Khoza|
|Succeeded by||Panyaza Lesufi (acting)|
|Member of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature|
6 May 2009 – 1 November 2019
Thuliswa Winlove Nkabinde
4 January 1973
Transvaal, South Africa
|Died||1 November 2019 (aged 46)|
Mulbarton Hospital, Alberton, Gauteng, South Africa
|Political party||African National Congress|
|Occupation||Member of the Provincial Legislature|
Thuliswa Winlove Nkabinde-Khawe (4 January 1973 – 1 November 2019) was a South African politician and a party member of the African National Congress (ANC). She was elected a Member of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature in May 2009 and was a long-serving member of the Social Development committee in the legislature, prior to her appointment as Gauteng MEC (Member of the Executive Council) for Social Development in May 2019. She was an MEC until her death just over five months later.
Early life and career
Nkabinde-Khawe was born on 4 January 1973 in the now-dissolved Transvaal Province. She became involved in politics at a young age, joining ACTSTOP, a civic organisation, in the 1980s where she held multiple leadership positions. She was part of the formation of the South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) and was a senior leader in the structure. She was SANCO's provincial secretary at the time of her death.
She took office as a Member of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature in May 2009 and became a member of numerous committees including the Standing Committee of Public Accounts (SCOPA), Public Transport and Social Development. She was designated as the head of the Public Transport Committee in August 2012. She was the head of the Social Development Committee for the fifth provincial legislature from 2014 to 2019.
In May 2019, Nkabinde-Khawe was named MEC for Social Development by Premier David Makhura. She succeeded Nandi Mayathula-Khoza and took office as an MEC on 30 May 2019. She held the post for just over five months.
Nkabinde-Khawe died on 1 November 2019 in the Mulbarton Hospital in Alberton, Gauteng. She died following a short illness. The Gauteng ANC said that her passing "will leave void in social development sector". The opposition Democratic Alliance also sent their condolences to the family. She is survived by her husband, Jacob Khawe, a senior ANC politician in the province, and their six children. Panyaza Lesufi was named her acting successor. Nkabinde-Khawe received a category 1 provincial funeral that was held on 8 November 2019. She was buried at the Meyerton Cemetery in Meyerton.
- Pijoos, Iavan (29 May 2019). "WATCH Meet Gauteng's new MECs". TimesLIVE. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- "2019 NATIONAL AND PROVINCIAL ELECTIONS CANDIDATE LISTS". IEC. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- McCain, Nicole (2 November 2019). "Gautengse LUR sterf in hospitaal" (in Afrikaans). Netwerk24. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- Tefu, Nyakallo (2 November 2019). "Gauteng Social Development MEC Thuliswa Nkabinde-Khawe dies". EWN. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
During the late 80s, she joined ACTSTOP (a civic organisation) and quickly rose through its ranks. She was involved in the formation of Sanco and served in various leadership positions.
- Malinga, Batandwa (2 November 2019). "Gauteng social development MEC Thuliswa Nkabinde-Khawe dies". TimesLIVE. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- "Gauteng Legislature given shake up". Mail & Guardian. 7 August 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- "STRUCTURE OF THE FIFTH LEGISLATURE (2014-2019)". Gauteng Provincial Legislature. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- Malefane, Moipone; Makheta, Tankiso (2 November 2019). "Gauteng's new MECs announced". SowetanLIVE. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- Grobler, Riaan (29 May 2019). "These are Gauteng's new MECs". News24. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- Mkhonza, Thembelihle (30 May 2019). "Makhura tells new Gauteng MECs to hit the ground running". IOL. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- McCain, Nicole (2 November 2019). "Gauteng social development MEC Thuliswa Nkabinde-Khawe dies". News24. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- Du Toit, Christelle (2 November 2019). "Gauteng MEC for Social Development dies". JacarandaFM. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- Khumalo, Juniour (2 November 2019). "'She served with passion': Makhura's tribute to fallen MEC". City-Press - News24. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- Ngqakamba, Sesona (6 November 2019). "Gauteng MEC Thuliswa Nkabinde-Khawe to receive category 1 provincial funeral". News24. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
| Gauteng MEC for Social Development
30 May 2019 – 1 November 2019
Panyaza Lesufi (acting)